Not sure if your 6 year-old is ready to tackle reading Harry Potter? Finding the right book at the right time can be a challenge for the parents of eager young readers. Janice N. Harrington, an associate professor of English Literature at the University of Illinois, has some interesting insights on this dilemma in her online article posted on nytimes.com. Click on the link below for some helpful advice.
The Children's Room staff is happy to help you find the right book for your child. We read widely, and we have a plethora of book lists and other tools that we can use to help you identify the books that meet your child's interests and are developmentally appropriate.
Sunday, December 23, 2012
School’s out and it’s time for family, friends, and fun. We blogged before about reading aloud, but there are lots of possibilities for taking a quick “book break.” Consider some of these:
- Joke books – just be prepared to hear the same joke again & again!
- Folk & fairy tales – we have a large collection, including variations of tradition tales – consider versions of Cinderella from Persia, Korea, Egypt, Mexico, and more – there’s even a Cinderella Skeleton!
- Anthologies of short stories – in addition to folk and fairy tales, consider Encyclopedia Brown (short mysteries) or any of the “Guys Read” series by Jon Scieszka.
- Poetry – I recall loving the story and the rhythm of Longfellow’s “Hiawatha”. We have a tremendous variety of poetry books, including some “concrete poems”.
- Non-fiction- look for trivia books, or any of the incredibly detailed and beautifully illustrated DK books on a huge range of subjects, including history, animals and science (Robots! Weather!)
What kinds of books do you like to share with your family?
Posted by Ellen at 4:28 PM
Friday, December 14, 2012
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Monday, December 3, 2012
Audiobooks are a great way for children and families to experience literature. Listening to books can help children understand story structure and develop a fondness for reading. In a practical sense, audiobooks can be a great source of entertainment while you're in the car with your kids--whether you're running errands around town or heading to Grandma's house in Michigan. To highlight new additions to our audiobook collection, we're now shelving new audiobooks with new print chapter books. Check out these recent additions to our collection--and happy listening!